M5 crash leaves one injured as motorway closed following serious collision
A serious collision on the M5 has left one person injured. The motorway has been fully closed in both directions since around 6am today (September 6) following a two-vehicle crash near Tiverton.
The road is expected to remain closed through the morning and drivers have been advised to avoid the area. Motorists are still reportedly stuck within the road closure, with around three miles of congestion on both sides of the road.
Emergency services were called to the motorway between Tiverton and Wellington at around 5.30am. Devon and Cornwall Police, Avon and Somerset Police and the ambulance service are confirmed to have attended the incident, which took place between junction 26 and junction 27, as DevonLive reports.
In a statement, Devon and Cornwall Police said: "Police were called at around 5.30am to reports of a serious collision involving two vehicles on the M5 Northbound between junctions 26 and 27. One person is reported to have sustained injuries and the road remains closed whilst emergency services remain at the scene.
"There is currently a complete closure on the M5 in both directions at the scene. Highways are assisting with putting diversions in place and traffic within the closure will be aided to move when possible."
Northbound road users are advised to follow the Solid Circle diversion symbol on road signs.
- Leave the M5 at J27 and take the 3rd exit onto the A38, towards Wellington
- Remain on the A38 for approximately 9 miles to the Chelston Roundabout, with the B3187
- At the Chelston Roundabout take the 4th exit, towards the M5
- Rejoin the M5 northbound at J26
Southbound road users are advised to follow the Solid Diamond diversion symbol on road signs.
- Leave the M5 at J26 and take the 3rd exit onto the A38, towards Taunton
- At the next roundabout (Chelston Roundabout) take the first exit onto the A38 south, towards Exeter
- Remain on the A38 for approximately 9 miles to M5 J27
- Rejoin the M5 southbound at J27