A47 forced to close throughout the rest of the day
The A47 has shut to traffic heading east this afternoon (Thursday, May 11) after an incident has forced highways workers to carry out emergency resurfacing works.
The eastbound carriageway is shut between the A1065 (Swaffham) and the A1075 (Dereham). It follows an earlier incident.
A National Highways spokesperson said: "The A47 in Norfolk is closed eastbound between the A1065 (Swaffham) and the A1075 (Dereham) for emergency carriageway resurfacing following an earlier incident. National Highways service providers are in attendance. The carriageway is expected to remain closed throughout the rest of the day.
"If this closure impacts on your planned route, please allow extra journey time. Plan ahead, you may wish to re-route or even delay your journey."
Regarding the incident, Norfolk Police said: "Earlier this morning officers were called to the A47 at Necton after a lorry crashed into trees on the roadside. No one was injured, the lorry is off the road and will be recovered later today. It is likely the road will need to be closed while recovery takes place."
A diversion route has been published by the National Highways agency. Motorists who wish to avoid the closure should do the following:
- Exit the A47 at Swaffham and onto the A1065 towards Fakenham.
- At the A148 roundabout, take the second exit onto the A148 and continue to the next roundabout.
- Take the third exit onto the A1067 and continue through Bintree, Morton and Drayton to the A140 Ring Road in Norwich.
- At the roundabout, take the third exit onto the A140 and continue to the next roundabout.
- Take the third exit onto the A1074 and re-join the A47 at Longwater Interchange
It is not known when the road will reopen.