Northamptonshire barn fire caused ?50000 worth of damage as 300 …
A Northamptonshire barn fire caused £50,000 worth of damage as 300 hay bales were burnt. Between 8pm and 10pm on Tuesday (May 16) the farming structure in Warkworth Road, Middleton Cheney was set alight.
The fire destroyed the barn and around 300 large straw bales which were stored inside it. Northamptonshire Police is treating the incident as a deliberate act and has launched an arson investigation.
A spokesperson for the force said: "Anyone with information about the arson is asked to call Northamptonshire Police on 101. You can also contact FireStoppers anonymously on 0800 169 5558 or visit www.firestoppersreport.co.uk Incident number: 23000300549."
On Tuesday night, fire engines and crews from Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service and a fire officer from Northamptonshire were first on the scene and found a steel barn and its contents ablaze. Residents in Overthorpe and Warkworth were advised to keep their windows and doors shut due to large volumes of smoke.
Oxfordshire officers left the scene upon the arrival of a crew from Brackley Fire Station. A decision was taken to allow the fire to burn "under control of the fire service and the landowner", a spokesperson for Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service confirmed.
They added: "We anticipate that residents will continue to see smoke in the area for the next 72 hours while the burn continues, and we would recommend residents continue to keep windows and doors shut throughout as a precaution.
"Once the fire is out, an investigation will take place to determine the cause. Thank you for your support and patience whilst we deal with this incident."
Get the latest and breaking news from Northamptonshire by signing up for our newsletter here.
- ^ Northamptonshire Police (www.northantslive.news)
- ^ www.firestoppersreport.co.uk (www.firestoppersreport.co.uk)
- ^ Man 'stabbed and beaten' near Northampton Costcutter by 'three unknown males' (www.northantslive.news)
- ^ were first on the scene and found a steel barn and its contents ablaze. (www.northantslive.news)
- ^ Brackley (www.northantslive.news)
- ^ Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service (www.northantslive.news)
- ^ signing up for our newsletter here. (data.reachplc.com)