Recap: Oldham warehouse burnt down by major fire as pictures show destruction

A warehouse was destroyed in a major fire that took place in the early hours of Saturday morning as dozens of firefighters tackled the blaze. Just after 2am, smoke was spotted coming from The Tile Shop warehouse on Barry Street and firefighters were called to the scene. Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) said that over 50 firefighters attended the scene, with some remaining until late on Saturday as they tried to totally extinguish the flames.

The fire led to road closures in the area, including Huddersfield Road, causing traffic delays and disruption to some bus services. The Oldham Times spoke to one man who said he was the first to contact emergency services. Richard, from Springhead, said he had been driving along Huddersfield Road at around 2am when he saw smoke coming from Barry Street and decided to see what was happening.

He said: "There were no flames at this point so I phoned 999. It hadn't been reported to them at this stage. "I was so impressed with the fire service.

They sent a link to my phone which I clicked on and it sent live video to the crew so they could see what was going on. I made the call at 2:17, sent the video at 2:19 and they were there at 2:22." Richard added that it was "a shame to see how bad" the fire became as he was hoping it would be caught in time.

As fire crews worked through the night, they had managed to "scale down" the blaze by 8am and some crew remained on the scene throughout the day. Pictures show the level of destruction that took place, with the once large warehouse reduced to ashes. In a tweet shared on Saturday, chief fire officer for GMFRS Dave Russel described the fire as a "challenging incident" and praised the crews for their work.

Huddersfield Road was closed for several hours and a cordon remained in place on Barry Street.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) confirmed the fire is not being treated as an arson attack and police were only sent to the scene to assist.