Cellist’s plea after almost losing arm in horror lorry crash
Laura Armstrong, 25, nearly had to have her right arm amputated after being knocked off her bike.
Ms Armstrong had been cycling in an unsegregated cycle lane in Temple Mills Lane, Leyton, heading west to meet friends for lunch.
The collision occurred as she rode across the junction with Leyton Road.
The driver went over her arm.
She had surgery at the Royal London Hospital to restore the blood supply to her hand after the main artery was destroyed.
Two days later she had an 11-hour operation that included a nerve graft, two surgical plates to fix a fracture and skin grafts from her thighs.
She initially spent 12 days in hospital. Ms Armstrong had a third operation three weeks ago to remove one of the plates in a bid to increase the flexibility of her arm.
“The crash happened so quickly,” she said.
“The lorry turned directly across my path and I ended up underneath. I remember picking my arm up from the road and my fingers were white and wouldn’t move. The surgeons told me they were very close to amputating my arm but they were amazing and managed to save it. As a musician, what they did for me goes beyond words.”
Ms Armstrong was three weeks into a master’s degree at the Royal College of Music at the time of the crash, in October 2019.
She had toured Scandinavia and Singapore and had performed with Sir Mark Elder, of the Hallé Orchestra.
She has had to defer her place while she has treatment.
She said: “I have little feeling in my right hand and limited movement in my arm. My greatest challenge is not knowing what the future holds.”
- ^ cellist (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Olympic Park (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Government (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Highway Code (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ cyclists (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Londoners back on buses, trains as numbers rise faster than expected (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Don’t travel to London without match ticket, Scotland fans told (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ London ULEZ expansion: Khan told drivers need help replacing vehicles (www.standard.co.uk)
- Skechers Girl’s On-the-go 600 Slip On Trainers
RRP PRICE: £52.00SALE PRICE: £39.64YOU SAVE: £12.36 Uppers: Textile Linings: Textile Outer Material: Synthetic Inner Material: Textile Sole: […]
- Hozelock 2412R3444 30m Compact Reel with 20m Hose
SALE PRICE: £30.00YOU SAVE: £8.22 Stores up to 30 m of 12.5 mm diameter loose hose Freestanding with a handle for easy movement around a garden […]
- ASICS Women’s Gt-1000 10 Running Shoe
REGULAR PRICE: £81.99 Engineered Mesh Upper – Provides breathable comfort. Overlays – Provides structure and support. Outer Material: Synthetic […]
- BEDSURE Goose Feather Pillows – White Sleeping Pillows 2 Pack, 100% Goose...
RRP PRICE: £46.99SALE PRICE: £19.99YOU SAVE: £27.00 About this item Innovative three chambers construction helps the feather pillows slowly […]